Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jesus Loves You, But I Am His Favorite

Those are the words written on a shirt that I received as a gift this Christmas. The giver of the gift said that she immediately thought of me when she saw it. At first, I didn't know if I should take that as a compliment or not. I questioned for a moment if she immediately thought of me because I give off a sense of "being better" than others. After she assured me that this is NOT why she thought of me, I felt a little better and laughed along with everyone else about the message on the shirt.

But ever since then, I have been thinking about that shirt (and have worn it a few times to the gym) and what lesson I can draw from it. Kind of silly right? A lesson from a shirt? Well, I don't think so.

Think back when you were a student. Were you ever the "teacher's pet"? I can definitely remember several classes were I could have been labeled the teacher's favorite. Remember how that felt? Remember the special privileges that you sometimes received because the teacher liked you so much. Remember how special you seemed, not only to the teacher, but to the other students? Or, maybe you weren't ever the favorite. Maybe you longed to be the teachers pet. Just once, you wanted to know what that felt like.

Guess what the shirt has reminded me of? I/YOU don't need to WISH to be His favorite. I ALREADY AM Jesus' favorite. And, so are YOU! I AM the Teacher's pet! And, so are YOU! And guess what else I am reminded of? I need to live like I believe that!!! I need to live like I am special!!!

No, I am not suggesting that we give off an air of conceitedness, but I am suggesting that we need to be living as if we TRULY believe the things Jesus says about us. For instance, and just to name a few:


  • I am a child of God (John 1:12)

  • I am a friend of Jesus (John 15:15)

  • I am justified and redeemed (Romans 3:24)

  • I am a fellow heir with Christ (Romans 8:17)

  • My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who dwells in me (1 Corinthians 6:19)

  • I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (Ephesians 1:3)

  • I am God's workmanship created to produce good works (Ephesians 2:10)

  • I am a citizen of Heaven (Philippians 4:7)

  • God loves me and has chosen me (1 Thessalonians 1:4)

WOW! Can you imagine what people would see in us if we started to live as if we believe those things? Don't you think we would ACT differently, THINK differently, and FEEL differently? I think we would be acting as if we WERE someone's favorite, like we had received special privileges from the Teacher! We would stop wishing!

So the desire and prayer of my heart is that I (YOU) remember and know that I am Jesus' favorite - even when I am not wearing the t-shirt as a gentle reminder. Thank you Jesus (and Connie) for the gift!!!


God is Good...All the time!!



3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I once has someone ask me if I was God's favorite child? Kind of struck me like your shirt did...

but the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that I am God's favorite child, along with all of us who know him as Father. It's hard not to compare our spiritual journey with that of others.

Sometimes, our striving is based on our need to matter, to be important and validated in the eyes of man, when all that really matters is the eyes of our Father. We live our lives for the audience of One. In the end, the only earthly strivings that will matter are the ones done on his behalf. Not ours.

Wear that shirt, friend! You are God's high and holy favored, and when others ask, don't be afraid to lead them straight to the cross.

love u~elaine

Beth in NC said...

Thanks for posting this. I am grateful that God is no respector of persons and loves us all. Whew!

Thank you for the beautiful scriptures confirming who we are in Him.

Bless you!
Beth

titanium said...

Thank you for posting this- I'm going to use those verses in my bible study group for Junior High students. :)