Monday, March 9, 2009

My Boss...

"My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter" ~ that is what the bumper sticker read today on the car in front of me at the light. I have seen this particular sticker before, it wasn't new to me, and I haven't been particularly moved by it in any way before. But today for some reason it struck a cord in me. I began to think how we might change our commitment to Christ if we REALLY took those words to heart.

I have an "earthly" boss. Her name is Elaine. She is a great boss, she is a pastor. She makes it easy and enjoyable to do my job. She brings out my best and I want to make her proud. I usually go above and beyond what she requires of me in my job. I love my job, but I must admit there are times when I need a break and would just LOVE to call off from work. But because I know Elaine counts on me for so many things, my commitment to her and to my job makes it hard to take those much needed days off every once in a while (by the way, I do get two weeks of vacation, but sometimes that just isn't enough!!). And, when I do take those days off, I am guilt-ridden over it. Because of my devotion, I don't miss too many days of work (other than for sick kids, minor melt downs, etc.) I am also very punctual (I don't have to punch an "actual" time clock, but I don't like to be late!). Perfect employee? Maybe, in the eyes of some. But what about in the eyes of the One who matters most???

So I guess what I am getting at is this. Why can I be so devoted to my "earthly " boss Elaine and strive to never let her down, but I fall so short in my devotion to my "heavenly" boss at times. How many times do I skip my morning or evening devotions because "I just don't feel like it?" How many times have I missed Sunday worship for some lame excuse? Why do I settle for "less than" and "good enough" when it comes to wanting to please Christ? How many times I am "late" when God needs me to show up?

So my prayer for today and for the days to come will be that Christ will hold me to His higher calling, much like Elaine does at work. I pray that my devotion and my commitment to my "heavenly" boss will not waiver and stand firm so that some day when I get my ultimate "evaluation", I will hear those words I so long and look forward to hearing, "Well done my faithful daughter - welcome home."

God is Good, All the Time

Lori

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've had some lazy days as of late, both in the practical and in the spiritual. I need a major jolt of "stick to itness" to bring me to the other side of all of this. So many things are crowding into my heart and life and mind (let's not forget the mind), I can barely find my "want to" for any of it.

And while I've seen this bumper sticker before, I'll never quite look at it in the same way again. Thanks for the kick!

peace~elaine